January 30, 2008

Semper Rotans...

Always moving. At least that is what it feels like here. January and February are supposed to be our down times, but alas we commit ourselves to many projects. I looked over our February calendar and I think we have 4 days in the month were we don't have something scheduled.

I've slowed down on the stitching and knitting in the past week cause I haven't been feeling great (and the above mentioned busy schedule) ..... since around Thanksgiving I've been having stomach issues... I finally got to the doctor this week, and am now on meds... in just 2 days I'm already feeling a difference :)

I'm done with my dental work, but Todd still has the big surgery to go...poor thing :(

Aaron is doing fantastic of course, and is now almost up to my shoulder... which isn't saying much since I'm not much taller than most elementary students! He's working hard on his reading, and has become a little mathematician.... he likes logic and number theory... just ask him the importance of "zero"... his new favorite show is CyberChase.

The laptop is still an ongoing saga.... we've gotten 3 conflicting emails as to why it didn't come yet... but still no computer or tracking number. I'm ready to ask for our money back, but Todd is holding out hope that they will come around, get their act together and get the computer to us by next week.... keep those fingers crossed.

While it doesn't feel like we've had time to ourselves, I have managed to read 12 books this month. I've set up a challenge for myself to read at least 10 books a month, and at least one must be non-fiction. I'm also going to try to branch out and read things other than cozy mysteries and romances. Right now I'm reading Eleanor vs. Ike: A Novel by Robin Gerber . It's a "what if" historical fiction... What if Adlai Stevenson died during the 1952 election and Eleanor Roosevelt stepped in as the Democratic nominee.... I'm only a little ways into it, and it's really engrossing. I'm going to have to find a good bio on both Ike and Eleanor, to see what liberties the author has taken (lots of talks of affairs).

Todd has taken up my old habit of starting a whole bunch of books... right now I think he is in the middle of about 5 books (some of which I want to read, so I wish he'd hurry up!)

Another book recommendation is for The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A. J. Jacobs . It's a really fascinating memoir of an agnostic Jew that tries to live as literally as possible, and along the way finds a little faith he didn't know he had. There are some real poignant moments, and some laugh out loud ones (like tying to stone a grumpy old man in Central Park!). One of the books Todd is working on is A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam (Armstrong, Karen) by Karen Armstrong . This is the first book he's read that discusses Islam (history and theology) in a clear way, and he's fascinated with the religion, as I was 20 years ago.

The title for this post comes from the 37th Transportation Group insignia I am currently working on for Dad :)

1 comment:

Robin erber said...

Hope you enjoy "Eleanor vs. Ike" and if you have any questions about reality vs. fiction, feel free to write. You may be really surprised at how much is real! best, Robin Gerber robin@robingerber.com