There is a Celtic saying that heaven and earth are only three feet apart, but in the thin places that distance is even smaller.
Last Saturday one of our ministers preached and discussed this concept as we begin a Celtic Creation lenten season. Bruce had us think about where and what our "Thin Places" are. Where we feel intouch with a greater spirit. Places, and occassions that make us aware of our part in nature and the grandeur of the unknown.
Here are my Thin Places, what are yours?
- The Temple Karnak in Egypt- the largest temple built by man, in Luxor Egypt. It may be man-made, but it is definitely connected to a greater power.
- Sitting on the rocks in Livorno Italy. A great place to just sit, stare at the water, and meditate.
- Rothenburg, Germany. An old walled city that has stood the test of time for over a thousand years, and is still magical in its winding walls, it's old Europe charm, and beautiful gardens.
- Hearing Aaron giggle uncontrolably. The laughter of a child is universal, and can heal many a jaded heart.
- Crafting.... I find that sitting down and cross-stitching has become my own form of meditation. I may not do it as much as I want, but when I do I feel a sense of wholeness.